Genesis 50:20


Genesis 50:20 - You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives.

Monday, January 30, 2017

Immigration and Friendship

There has been much bitter debate recently concerning this temporary ban on immigration from 7 countries that President Trump signed by executive order. I have even lost a friend over the issue after he told me to seek counseling because I clearly was not thinking right to hold the opinions I held. He then insinuated my thoughts must be clouded by PTSD. Yes he did fit the stereotype of a young professional in Los Angeles in the acting business. So what should I expect? But is was sad. It was sad because we went to the same church in junior high and in high school. He had been out to our ranch and been friends with the family for a long time. And then, just like that, he told me he didn’t want to dialogue with me on any topic or in any medium. I have been thinking about his last post all day. Fortunately, I have the time to think about it (normally if this happened back home, my life is too busy to allow myself to dwell on things, and I just cut weight and move on….right or wrong that’s what I do…..I know that is horrible).

Some of the things floating around in my mind are: was it so important to convey what I thought was truth, that it caused the relationship to fracture? Does the perception of “friendship” sustained by cyber stocking “friends” out of curiosity even constitute real friendship? What is the Christian response to the immigration crisis? Is the world coming to an end?

Now I know I have a penchant for worst case scenario stuff, so I will let the “is the world coming to an end” question have a by and not consider it now.

Instead I will address some of the others. I think one of the keystone questions is the second, “Does the perception of “friendship” sustained by cyber stocking “friends” out of curiosity even constitute real friendship”. Friendships are very complex. They require time and attention. They require love, compassion, empathy, and commitment. Interestingly facebook does not make those prerequisites before you “friend” someone. In truth Facebook is bastardizing the term friend and cheapening it to the point of meaninglessness. In my scenario, I was hurt because at one time we had been friends, and through facebook, the illusion that we were still friends created the sense of friendship. But was it friendship? I don’t know. What if I see him again? Will I not be kind and try to pick up where we left off (last time I saw him was at my friend Jason Ofner’s wedding in Hawaii). I imagine so. But what about him? I can’t control how he will respond. And he clearly doesn’t want me to contact him any more….he made that extremely clear. So I am left still with the question of, “What is a cyber friendship?”

It is a peculiar thing. Some people have lost marriages over cyber friendships. Those friendships lead to physical friendships. And then on and on, or down and down. And I guess right now I don’t even really care to define what a cyber friendship is, because I have already determined that it is definitely not an actual friendship, but it can carry trappings of actual friendship along with emotional baggage if you get “un-friended”, or at least it did for me. Now, there are plenty of people that I am cyber friends with that I wouldn’t care at all if they unfriended me. But this situation did sting a bit. But now on to the “why” of my un-friending.

What to do about the immigration crisis? I read an article by a Wheaton grad in the Huffington post about what a Biblical response to the crisis should be… the link is here:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/the-immigration-ban-and-the-refugee-crisis-a-bible_us_588ec859e4b0de286b25750e

I felt like it was a classic Christendom response: Give a few verses that support a presupposition and voila, It is unbiblical to put a 90 day suspense on immigration from 7 countries.

There is no doubt that I am failing at living out the great commission. There is no doubt that I am failing living our Matthew 25. There is no doubt that I do not love my neighbor as much as myself. I am failing, failing, failing. Jesus told me unless you sell everything and give it to the poor and follow me, you are not worthy of the kingdom of God. And he is right! Amen! Hallelujah! I am an utter failure. So this immigration thing is just one more thing that I am failing at. But I cling like leech to flesh to Romans 8:1 “Therefore there is no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus” and Romans 6:23 “For the wages of sin is death but the free gift of God is eternal life”, and John 3:5 “ Truly, truly, I say unto you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God.” To me, there is nothing I can do to be good enough. Likewise, there is no amount of bad that I do that his grace cannot overcome. But the operator, life giver, redeemer, is Him….not me. I can go down to a river and say all the good things I need to say before man and dunk myself underwater and look like a good person, but if I am not “born of the Spirit” too, I am nothing. Just as in Matthew 25, the guys that were good but God cast them out…. they were not born of the Spirit. So how do I get “born of the Spirit”? That is up to God. Again, I cannot do it to myself or make myself good enough for the Spirit to live in me. If God wants me to be born of the Spirit, I will be born of the Spirit. I have no more control than an actual baby has control over his being born. Just like a baby, you are either born or you’re not. And the only way to know the difference is to start living. And if you live, you were born.

So how the heck does this all apply to immigration? Well like this…. Yes, you need to love your neighbor. So the natural question that follows is: Do you? Do you love your neighbor? It is so easy to post strong opinions on the internet about how Christians should not support Trump because he is banning Muslims. And that banning Muslims is wrong and not loving. But I have already confessed to the fact that I suck at loving anyone besides myself. So what about you…. oh righteous ones that are soooo filled with political love for Muslims that are getting a 90 day temporary hold on Visas do you love your neighbor. I mean the one who lives across the street from you. The one next door to you. The one in the cubical next to yours. Do you even know their names? Would you even know how to ask if they were to need something? Would they come to your house to ask because you have made it so obviously clear that you care about them? Or do you, just like me….pine away at your keyboard and solve all the world’s problems from your LCD screen? Oh if the world would only see things your way….then we would live in a utopia. It is time to Love our neighbor. That’s what Jesus said, so start doing it Eric. Then you can worry about the people millions of miles away from you.




Dang…. I thought I was all done and was proud of myself, then I started thinking of all the ways people could criticize this. One : its too simplistic…… if you just act locally and are not involved with the political process, then Nazis will take over and send you to the gas chamber. Well I guess that could happen. But the questions I have are these: 1- did I exercise my right and vote (yes). 2- do I see atrocities being committed (well not by the current administration…..just by Muslims in Afghanistan). 3- when would I consider civil disobedience (hmm that’s a hard one because the Bible basically says how the end will go, and it’s not going to be pretty….so, ….. is fighting going to postpone the inevitable?) So overall I think I am OK with not flying to JFK and protesting…. especially because there are many people who need to be loved right where I am.

Two: your view is pretty fatalistic: I guess it kinda is. I won’t pretend to know the answer to the predestination vs free will thing. But I do know that Jesus said to love others and I try but I suck at it. And even Paul said he was bad at it and called himself the worst of sinners. And Peter pretty much sucked at it and disowned Jesus. And King David sucked at it and slept with his neighbors wife and then had him killed. So if they can try and then fail, so shall I try and also fail. And the result will be the same. I am condemned to die and only by God’s grace through the free Gift of Jesus Christ do I have eternal life.


Now I am going to bed.... Thank you Jesus for all that you have done for me. Please be with my Wife and children as they are at home. Please help my Wife study hard and do well on her upcoming test. Please let my children be a joy to you. Let them grow in the knowledge and understanding of your Word. And that your Word would be written on their hearts. Please encourage my wife and strengthen her to meet the challenges You place before her. Protect them from the evil one and lead them not into temptation. Thank you for all you have done for me. Thank you for my family (Dad, Mom, Brother, and Sister and their spouses) Please be with each of them and bring them the Joy of the Lord to be their strength. In Jesus Name. Amen

6 comments:

  1. Definitely a deluge of information and strong thoughts that need processing. As always just a joy and mind broadening perception thank you sir!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Opoien, Great to hear from you. Hope all is well on your side of the world. Seems like the US is a crazy place right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your writer's voice is so powerful. I love to read your thoughts and let them challenge mine. Dogberry, the fool in Much Ado About Nothing, embraced being an "ass", and I can identify with that. I agree with you. We are a mess in need of God's tenderness, and the person next to us needs to experience Him through us. Proud to be your brother and praying for you and your family regularly. Thank you for "holding the line".

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love you bro! You are my brother! Dad will be here soon.... looking forward to getting together some time soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Eric. I've lurked in your blog for a while but I really found this post, like many of your posts, fascinating. Thanks for all that you do for our country. For that, we are all indebted to you. However, you were a big brother and life saver to my wife while you both were honing your skills in Cleveland and for that, I am personally indebted to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Alex. You guys are very special! I am honored to know you guys. And little Ethan is pure joy! I hope you all are well. God Bless. - Eric

    ReplyDelete